Jalfrezi?! Jalfrezi is a type of curry dish that is popular throughout the Indian region. It is a thick spicy sauce that is tomato based with additional spices that is typically prepared with meat, paneer, and/or veggies. Most would expect a dietitian to prepare their own Jalfrezi sauce- but why reinvent the wheel?! I got this Jalfrezi simmer sauce from Aldi and simply stirred in some veggies, chickpeas, and couscous. I would have preferred to use basmati rice but couscous was all I had in my cupboard this go around!
All you need:
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms ( issued Monterey)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-16 oz. Jalfrezi summer sauce (I used Journey to India from Aldi)
- 1 can no-salt-added chickpeas
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 1 cup prepared basmati (or couscous if that’s all you have!)
All you do:
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion, red pepper, and mushrooms until onions have browned. Add in spinach and stir until wilted.
- Pour jar of Jalfrezi sauce into skillet/wok and stir in chickpeas. Simmer covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour over basmati rice and enjoy! I also like to make some naan to go with this yummy dish!