This. Was. Amazing. We have made variations of this dish in the past (might need to post those later) and seeing a recipe of a high calorie, high fat creamy salsa chicken recipe posted on Instagram, I was inspired to make a healthier version. Bonus- very inexpensive to make! Hope you enjoy! This particular recipe got us four meals.
All you need:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half lengthwise (cooks faster and doesn’t dry out as much)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1- 16 oz. jar salsa
- 1-15 oz. can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1- 15 oz. can no-salt-added corn, rinsed and drained
- 5.3 oz. container plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Optional but encouraged for garnish: shredded cheese or feta crumbles and a handful of sliced green onions
All you do:
- Combine the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and paprika in a small bowl. Rub the chicken breasts on both sides with herb/spice mixture.
- In a skillet, over medium-low heat, add cooking oil and cook chicken until heated through. Remove chicken and place on a cutting board. Cut chicken into strips.
- In the same skillet, still over medium-low heat, add peppers and onions. Saute until they soften then stir in the salsa, black beans, and corn kernels.
- Once the salsa and veggies are well mixed, slowly stir in the Greek yogurt one spoonful at a time.
- Add chicken back to the mixture.
- Serve over brown rice and top with green onions and cheese!
Makes for great leftovers. Hope you enjoy!