I feel like I always start this way but this is such an easy recipe and inexpensive! This is a great one to make in bulk and have for lunches as a burrito bowl or to use as a filling for enchiladas. This can also easily be made vegetarian by simply omitting the meat. Also, if you have any young chefs out there, this would be a great starter recipe!
All you need:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground meat or chicken
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 can no salt added black beans, drained
- 1 can no salt added corn, drained
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water or low sodium broth
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, jalapenos, and salsa
All you do:
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add olive oil and ground meat.
- Once meat is browned, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, bell peppers, and onion. Saute veggies until softened. Stir in black beans, corn, and fire roasted tomatoes.
- Add 1/2 cup quinoa and 1 cup water or broth. Bring to boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until quinoa is cooked through
That’s it! Enjoy with your desired toppings.